EVN Macedonia, the sole electricity distribution operator in FYROM, continues its smart metering deployment program reaching this year 347 transformer substations and around 35 000 consumers.
EVN Macedonia started it smart metering program with a proof of concept in 2011 in order to understand the cost/benefit, given that unlike in other European countries, the investment into it is not compensated by the government.
The main drivers for this initiative were:
– Necessity to decrease electricity theft being at the level of 18,4% in 2011
– Necessity to provide a more accurate billing to consumers
– Necessity to decrease operational costs related to network maintenance, outages, manual meter readings and associated human errors
A number of positive reference from a number of EU projects as well as successful deployment of ADDAX solution in EVN Bulgaria together with competitive offer have been convincing enough to choose ADDAX smart metering solution based on S-FSK IEC61334-5-1 for a proof of concept.
Today EVN Macedonia has already almost 35 000 ADDAX meters operating in the field and bringing the company the following benefits:
– Decrease of losses down to 14,9% in 2015
– Improvement of network and power quality through constant monitoring of electricity quality parameters and outage management
– Improvement of debt collection through control over electricity supply and possibility for an instant connection/disconnection of consumer